What is a noun phrase?
A noun phrase is a phrase which includes:
- a noun (also called head)
- and optionally modifiers.
1). Love is a beautiful feeling. (Love is a noun phrase without modifiers. However, a beautiful feeling is a noun phrase that includes a noun, feeling, and the determiner a and the adjective beautiful)
2). My house is over there. (My house is a noun phrase which consists of the noun house and a modifier – the possessive adjective my)
Possible noun modifiers
A noun phrase may optionally contain noun modifiers. If these modifiers are placed before the noun they are called pre-modifiers. However, if they are placed after the noun, they are called post-modifiers.
Possible noun modifiers include the following:
- Determiners :
- articles (the, a)
- demonstratives (this, that)
- numerals (two, five, etc.)
- possessives (my, their, etc.)
- quantifiers (some, many, etc.)
In English, determiners are usually placed before the noun;
- adjectives (the delicious food)
- complements, in the form of a prepositional phrase (such as: the student of physics), or a That-clause (the idea that the world is a small village )
Functions of a noun phrase
Noun phrases can function as subjects, objects:
- That sophisticated woman is beautiful. (That sophisticated woman is a noun phrase that functions as a subject.)
- I like the book that you bought. (the book that you bought is a noun phrase that functions as an object.)
RUMUS MUDAH MENGHAFAL PENYUSUNAN NOUN PHRASE
Bagaimana cara menyusun noun phrase yang terdiri dari beberapa kelas kata yang berbeda? Kita bisa menghafalnya dengan rumus DI SUMUR TUWA AMAN.